Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Resting Place

I had a million things to do this morning.  The house is tore up, the laundry is piled up, the dishes aren't leaping into the dishwasher by themselves.
But in spite of all that  "my heart heard you say, "Come and talk with me." and my heart responds "LORD, I am coming." (Psalm 27:7-8)  So I grabbed my little pink Bible, a Mt Dew and set out on foot due east until I found myself at one of my favorite spots.
The surf is big this morning and I can see that overnight the water has come  up to the steps.  There is seaweed all over the beach.  The waves are roaring and there is not a soul in the water.  The waves are such right now that they really look like they could swallow you up.
I am in awe and I search "ocean" on my Bible software.  I didn't have to go far for a "first mention."   "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  The earth was formless and empty and darkness covered the deep waters.  And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the the waters."  And I think to myself  "Is this what draws me here?  Is it because before everything else there was God and the deep waters?"  (I don't know but its true but its what crossed my mind) And in a few verses He makes it all take shape "God spoke:"Separate! Water-beneath-Heaven, gather into one place; Land, appear!" And there it was.  God named the land Earth.  He named the pooled water Ocean. God saw that it was good."
I saw a man pull a fishing net out of the seaweed.  I thought of Peter and his brother and how they just dropped their nets when Jesus called them.  I have a heart for Peter.  I wonder if when he made that decision to leave all he knew to follow Christ's call he thought he'd done the hardest part.  Just sayin.
I watched these little birds on the sand (they were too fast to take pictures of) and because I am prone to fear and a bit of anxiety, I remember "What is the price of 5 sparrows-two copper coins?  Yet God does not forget a single one of them.....So don't be afraid; you are more valuable than a whole flock of sparrows." (Luke 12:6-7)
My heart was full as this psalm (and favorite praise song) came up in my search.  "Shout to the LORD all the earth.....Let the sea and everything in it shout it's praise!  Let everything in it join in!"  (Psalm 98:7)

I know the world is busy.  I know life is hard.  Trust me I know this.  If you find yourself, tired, weary, unable to do it anymore, find some quiet time for you.  Take the time to rest in His care or lay your burdens before Him.  Cry, yell, sit in silence.  He can take it. Let Him bind your wounds, give you a place to rest. You don't have to get cleaned up.  He'll take you right as you are.  He loves you so very much.   I do too.
Be blessed.
joy

No comments:

Post a Comment