Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Years Resolutions to My Kids

Wow, a new year.  I was still trying to get used to 2010 and all that it has held for me and my family.  I did one of those "status collages" on facebook and I was pretty happy with what it showed.  In the middle was God and Proverbs on the side (yay for wisdom!).  All of my kids and husband's names were scattered through out.  I was proud of that because part of what made this move so important was the recognition that what I said I valued and my actions were out of sync. 
As part of a leadership class last year I had to write out my life story.  I put it off as I felt like it would be painful to put to paper the parts of my life I was not particularly proud of.  But the writing also helped me go back and remember those feelings of when my oldest was born and the very real, somehow forgotten feeling of "I was made to be a mom."  As much as I struggle, as frustrated as I get, as big as my biggest failures in this category, I know that God made me for this in this time.  He gave me these unique kids who need me as a mom and I need them too. So, in that, I decided to in my new years resolutions to do a little better as a mom.  Knowing I will fall short, I still think it's important to make those resolutions.  I also think it's important to tell others about it so here it goes:
New Years Resolutions to my Kids
1)  I resolve to watch my words and how I say them.  Scarcasm (and I meant to spell it that way) has to go.  I resolve to replace them with encouragement or shut up until I can find it. If it gets heated, I resolve to talk to God before I talk to you.  You may be suprised that sometimes I am so frustrated and angry I pray to be struck mute.  But that doesn't happen so I will pray for an abundant measure of self control.
2) I resolve to see you as individuals and not just "the kids."  I resolve to try and spend time alone with each of you in formal and informal ways.   I recognize our time is limited and valuable.  I resolve to not view these times with an agenda but to keep it open for what is important to you. 
3)  I resolve to remember that ultimately you are not mine but God's.  I will keep this in the forefront of my mind when we argue, when I am disappointed in a choice you have made, when your pursuits are not necessarily what I would have chosen for you.  I will remember He is doing a mighty work in you too and it is my job to not stand in the way of your victories. 
4)  I resolve to continue to love your Dad. Your dad is my hero, too.  I will spend time with him with out feeling guilty because I am not with you.  I will be there for you when you need me too.  It is the best gift I can give you to have a happy marriage and happy dad. 
5)  I resolve to show you more this year how to give back to others. It may mean stepping out of our box.  It may mean feeling a little wierd but it will be worth it.   God has blessed us in amazing ways and now it's our turn to pay it forward.  I know you guys have great ideas about how to do this and I know you see needs that I don't.  Please share those with me. 
6) Last but not the least, actually the most important.  I resolve to take care of myself physically, spiritually and emotionally.  More exercise, less caffeine.  More Bible, less facebook.  More retreating and refreshing, less going full bore every day.  In doing this so I can better care for you.  When I am more in the Word I am less fearful which equals trusting God which equals me yelling less because something feels out of control.  I hope that makes sense. 
I love you and my prayer is that even more this year that you see I love being your mom.  I pray that anyone who knows me will know that my family is my biggest blessing.  "I prayed for this child and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him." (1 Samuel 1:27)  Help me to ALWAYS remember you are an answer to my prayers. 
Love you guys,
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment