Wednesday, March 16, 2011

cool drink of water

I need to make a disclaimer that first, I have a wonderful husband who ismy best friend. I never want to discount that relationship in my life.  Second, I don't want anyone to think I am "alone" even when I sound "lonely." I am  just a very relational person and also not a very patient person. I want relationships in Florida like I had in Iowa, NOW!  I never anticipated that building new relationships would take time, trial and error and a few other things. I am just journaling this journey in case anyone else goes through these things too.

John 4:10-42 "If you knew the generosity of who I am, you would be asking me for a drink, and I would give you fresh, living water."


The "Woman at the Well." I know there is something Jesus wants to show me through this woman. I think I am close. Here is what I know about this passage.

She came alone. She came to the well in the mid day hoping to avoid the other village ladies. She didn't need their condemning stares; she carried enough guilt on her own. After 5 husbands she was done with marriage but so she opted to "shack up" with the one she was with now.  This was a woman with trust issues and "walls." 

Ok, I get that.  I understand about not wanting to get close to someone because you are afraid of how people will respond to you once they "really" get to know you.  I make up others people's minds about me before I have ever told them my name.  I have their answers in my mind before I ever ask them to do anything.  I am begining to see why I need to take a look at this woman.  

As she was drawing water from the well a man approached her, a Jewish man nonetheless. I can only guess at the trust issues she had with men. I am sure she came trying to avoid the village women but never thinking she would have to deal with a Jewish man who was trying to talk to her there.

How confusing for her as Jews did not talk to Samaritans in those days much less ask them for anything. And men in general did not speak to her unless they wanted something from her.

But she looked at him as she spoke. She saw his eyes seeing her and she knew something was different. But trust is not something that came easily so she questioned him. She questioned why he, a Jew, would talk to her, a Samaritan. She questioned how was he going to carry any of his special "living water" if he didn't have a bucket.

She says to him (and I paraphrase), "Give me some of this water so I never have to come back to this well again." Is she mocking him? Or does she really hate coming to the well? The well was where day to day "normal" business was carried out and on the inside she was screaming "My life is not normal!" The guilt, shame and hiding were becoming too much. She saw no way out.

She tried to steer the questions so she could deflect the attention from herself but Jesus had a purpose in mind for her.

He asked her about her husband but he knew her situation. She just needed to be face to face honest with her Savior. Sometimes we do that voluntarily but sometimes we need to be confronted. Laying it ALL out is the only way to have true freedom. In unveiling her dark past, he brought to light a woman.

My heart hurts for her in this moment. She doesn't know what he will say next. She was used to the tongue lashing, berating words, the scolding that inevitably came. And the people who usually dished that out didn't really know her and the most hidden places in her heart. They just judged her based on her circumstances. What was about to come from this man who seemed to know everything about her?

She tries to figure it out on her level, “Oh, you are a prophet." And then the fast talking begins she tries to deflect this intensity. "You Jews insist that Jerusalem is the only place to worship, right?" I can see her mind in defense mode.

But Jesus uses all her questions and defenses to accomplish his purpose and that's her salvation.

He saw her and knew the truth about her and he loved her. He never saw her as hopeless or too far gone. He knew her potential as a disciple.

And he lays it out simply before her. He says to her "It's who you are and the way you live that count before God....That's the kind of people the Father is looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before him in worship."

He is telling her be truthful about yourself. Share your transformation, salvation story. When you are real, it's worship. When you worship, be real.

The woman left and became a witness. She went back to her town and "many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of this woman's testimony."

In the end I keep thinking about the woman who reached out to touch Jesus and she was healed and I contrast it with this woman.  I am struck and on my knees thankful that Jesus did the reaching out.  She did not see this coming. 

Have you ever longed for someone to reach out to you?  "Doesn't anyone see me?" There have been times reaching out hasn't always come when and how I hoped for it and that has bothered me. But then, when  I least expect it I am blessed by some one who does reach out, who's following up on a struggle I shared with her, who's called just to check on me, who's invited me to hang out, who has offered me the cool, water of real, authentic, accepting relationship.  His ways are much better than mine. Now if someone could just tatoo it on me so I would quit forgetting that.

Jesus, thank you that you still send people to break down our walls.  It's hard and it hurts sometimes too Lord.  But the reward is great.  Help me to trust you and to let others see what's real in me.  Help me to be a testimony the love and grace you've shown me.  Jesus I am so thankful your water gets into the dry, desert places on my heart and makes a fertile soil for growth and love.  Keep pouring it out Jesus so I can pour it out to others.
refreshed again by the Living Water.....

No comments:

Post a Comment