Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tears of Praise

I was talking to someone precious to me this morning. It had been awhile since we talked and she was updating me on the awesome things happening in her world. This is some one I have been blessed to walk on her journey with her as she walks mine with me. As she spoke there was an excitement to her voice. She was receiving all God has been promising her for a long time. Amazing things. As she related all these things to me I just started to weep. (As I am doing right now as I type.) The tears came out of no where and I almost didn't realize I was crying until I felt the tears on my cheeks. Everything she was telling me was cause for joy and celebration and "Woohoos!" But the tears fell.


I do this sometimes. I remember it first started during worship times. The Holy Spirit would be so present and my heart so full the tears would flow. Then I noticed it started happening during sermons. The pastor would say something and it was like God spoke straight to me and the tears would run silently down my cheeks. I liked to say "the Holy Spirit is leaking out of me." :)

I also do this sometimes with my kids. Each year on our birthdays, we all go around and say what is special about that person. And I am always last. They have come to expect that I will get a little choked up as I reflect on how wonderful they are and how blessed I am to be their mom. My heart just overflows with gratitude for them. My dad used to do this. One of the things I miss most about him is the way he would say "I'm so proud of you." and his voice would be choked and his eyes full of tears. He would also say "My quiver is full." (Psalm 127:3-5) in the same way. I thought at the time it was because he was just so proud of us but as I think about it I think he was overwhelmed with the blessing of a healthy, beautiful family and how God provided for him for many years.

It feels like I am doing it more frequently in this new place. Jesus provides for us in abundant, unexpected ways and I cry. He gives me an opportunity to minister to someone else with my experiences and I cry. He shows me in special, unique ways that we are just exactly where we need to be and I cry.

I was thinking this morning about the woman in Luke who washed Jesus' feet with her tears and the very expensive perfume. The other gospels only mention the perfume but Luke mentions the tears. I love that. She was a sinner and when you first read the passage you assume that she is crying because she feels like such a loser. Today I see her in a different way. I see her as fellow sister who sees Jesus and knows He is not only her Savior but also her Provider, Redeemer, Counselor, Father, Friend, the One who loves her without limits and blesses her beyond words. And she cried.

So from now on these tears are going to be called "Tears of Praise." Because that is exactly what they are. They are what I offer back when I don't have the words or ways to respond to Him all He has done for me.

Let them flow, Jesus,

joy

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Joy! I have tears of praise often too - and I think I will start to call them that also. Love the idea of what you do on birthdays - we will have to start that!
    Keep writing sister!

    ReplyDelete