Monday, December 6, 2010

Mary and Elizabeth

 Mary and Elizabeth. I was reading a small devotional the other day that talked about how Mary went to Elizabeth because she was another woman in a similar circumstance. It emphasized the importance of relationships for women and how we should have those relationships with other women like us-young moms, working moms, bible study ladies, etc.


For some reason, that just isn't landing right with me or my experience in this season of life. Don't get me wrong. I have, in the past, been in those mom's groups, had a fabulous group of women to work with who shared similar struggles and joys, discussed the Bible with amazing women. On top of all that I have been blessed with an AWESOME family of 5 sisters and we are definitely bonded by family ties. But I think what keeps us close is our ability to share what God is doing in our very different lives. Which brings me to my point.


The ONLY thing Mary and Elizabeth had in common were their pregnancies and the hand God had in them. OK not a small thing. But they were different. Mary was a poor young girl from a tiny town. Elizabeth was married to a priest with high standing and she was OLD.


They were so very different from each other but Mary still ran to Elizabeth because of what they shared in common. They saw beyond their differences and bonded over what they shared.


My "support" here is diverse and eclectic. When you are building a new network of friends you are not able to say "Well, before I had this friend and she looks like a good replacement for her." It doesn't work. Trust me, I've tried.


I tried to find a nice Bible study that would give me a nice group of women to replace the ones I lost. In the ER, you work with lots of different people and so each shift is different and you could be the only female on your team. So that is a poor replacement for my all female work team of 12, most of which were moms too. No way can I "replace" friendships I've had since childhood. Replacement isn't what God is asking for. No, again God has another plan-a new thing.


Sometimes God puts people in our lives that when we first meet we think we have very little in common because of what we see on the outside. But I have been blessed with the surprises that in time once you get to know them and their heart you find you have more in common than you thought. And the in the differences are fun discoveries and things to learn.


And like Mary and Elizabeth, hope and joy is shared. Support is offered. Memories are made. A safe place is found.


Jesus, you know making new friends is not the easiest for me and you have made it so much easier when I was finally able to open my eyes to see who you’ve put around me. Help me to be a good friend, Father, to my precious old friends and my new ones.

Trying to be a friend who loves at all times,
joy





No comments:

Post a Comment